1) Spatchcock the chicken by cutting out the backbone
2) Set the BBQ indirect for 160F
3) While the BBQ is heating up, mix the paste and oil together thank smear all over the chicken, making sure you get it on the underside as well as into all the crevices’.
4) Put some smoke wood on the bbq (I used Cherry) and place the chicken meat side down, shut the lid and cook the chicken at 160 for 35 mins.
5) While that’s happening it’s time to make the sauce – melt the butter in a large pan (big enough to fit the chicken) on a med-low heat and add the seeds and chilli, fry gently until the mustard seeds pop. Then add the onion and let that cook gently for 10 mins, then add the crushed garlic.
6) Fry the garlic for 2 mins then add the curry paste, cook that for 2 mins and add the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 mins.
7) Back to the BBQ! Open the vents and increase heat to 180. Flip the chicken over and place into the sauce.
8) Cook for another 30mins at 180 to finish the chicken to 165 internal temp – cook to temp not time!
9) Finish with a dusting of chopped coriander and whatever sides you like